Thursday, August 20, 2009

Idaho

Last scheduled 90+ mile day into Idaho. Early stop for a mile hike into the woods to a picture perfect early morning waterfall. Around mile 25 we stopped for a love/hate good bye to Route 2--which we've been following since MN. I noticed a bad wobble in my front tire so at lunch I inspected and a spoke just popped off. I pulled the tire off, found the spoke end under the tape, replaced the spoke, and trued the wheel in about 20. Something I'd never done before, but with the knowledge I've been picking up along the way, any basic bike maintenance is feasible. Arrived in Sandpoint--a descent sized town around 6800 population I believe--for a nice evening and a day off in Idaho.
That night we enjoyed free tickets to the city fair where a symphony played followed by fireworks. Perfect weather for a relaxing day off. 10:00am wake up was a great treat next to our usual 6. Stopped at a crepes and coffee shop on our way to the beach. The lake was beautiful. Sand volleyball and cool water with nothing but mountains in the background. No potatoes, but Idaho left a good taste in my mouth.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nick, Grandpa notes that your blog now contains "biker language". Example - he had to interpret "trued the wheel in about 20" for me. Now I understand it - but couldn't do it.
    You and Wade may never have granola huckleberry bread again (sound yummy) but now you know what it tastes like. Keep on truckin' good buddy. The finish line is close.
    Love you, Nick ---- Gram

    ReplyDelete