Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Vancouver, BC

I'm here, in a coffee shop on Julia's laptop, and I just told the man next to me I biked from the Atlantic to the Pacific in the past 10 weeks. He says, "Wow, well have a good day in Vancouver." and walks away. When you say it, it just doesn't seem as cool as when you live it.

It's impossible to describe the last 30 miles riding as a huge group through the city yesterday, and even harder--getting wet with Pacific ocean, dipping my front tire, staring out to sea, there. Quite the bike. We went out to dinner as a group to a brew pub and now, a day later, 4 people are already gone. It'll still take a little while to sink in, here I am, Canada, the destination, all those miles, hills, diners, headwinds, conversations, friendships--call it family even, and it's over. Back to real life. Thanks for reading along the whole way, and all the comments. I'll have lots of pictures up September 6, and maybe some more words about Vancouver if I can articulate them. Surreal. Good times.


Love from Vancouver, BC, CANADA!

Nick

2 comments:

  1. Dear Biker, You've lived a DREAM! Washington Pass sounded unbelievable. And the ride down - WOW! We probably told every other person we talked to yesterday about your trip,(whether we knew them well or not) we were so excited for you and your biking "family" (I like that term)..Enjoy your days on the West Coast, Grandson. We love you - G. and G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick,

    Thank God. You are a true blessing and had a great, safe summer. We are truly proud of you. Dan, Pat and I biked around Kelleys Island on Wednesday - the first day you were not riding. We thought of you all evening and wished we could talk to you. We toasted you over the bon fire. One last great week of adventures for you and Laura. Saw her this eveing and she is ready to fly in. Have fun. Talk to you soon. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete